The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Making Money Selling Beats
Well, there are many different ways of making money online, and while some of them can be used by people with no to little skills about anything in particular, some others require you to be adequately skilled at what you do.
A look at Kartikeya Sharma, or rather a well-known Indian businessman’s profile, reveal that he heads several online startups too, most of which seem to be doing really well. This simply shows that if you know what you are doing, making money online may actually turn out to be easier for you than you think.
Beat selling is one of such ways of making money online. If you don’t know the first thing about beat making, you may as well stop reading here, unless of course if you plan to invest months or probably even years of rigorous practice into learning to make your own beats, and marketing or selling it.
That being said, this is still going to be a beginner’s guide to making money online selling your own beats.
What are the advantages of selling beats?
There actually seem to be quite a few, but we will take a look at some of the major ones.
It allows you to make money off your talent
Making money by doing something you are talented at or love to do is definitely very satisfying and pleasing. Hence, if you are someone who knows how to make quality beats and are passionate about it, you may simply love making and selling beats online.
If everything goes well, it may help you quit your rather annoying 9 to 5 at some point in the future, and get into beat making full-time.
It’s easier than ever to sell beats online
There used to be a time when selling your own beats used to be more than challenging, unless you were a popular name in the industry. This was obviously very discouraging, as many music producers would struggle to keep going and earn enough to pay off their bills.
However, nowadays, technology has seemingly revolutionized the industry, and it’s now easier than ever to sell your own beats online. This is due to the fact that you can simply upload and sell your beats online nowadays. In fact, once you get going, you may also manage to automate the process quite a bit, so your primary job would be just to make quality beats, and the money would keep coming in by itself.
The music industry has apparently grown many folds over the past few decades. There are more and more people looking to buy beats to add to their track, and hence, when you sell your beats to such people, you are in a way helping them with what they do.
You may also feel good about it, especially when you manage to make really good beats that help the buyers’ songs go popular and rake in a lot of business for them in the future.
Unlike how the situation used to be for beat makers a few decades ago, they no longer have to wait for weeks and months to sell their beats. Nowadays, if you are talented enough at beat making, you may make quality beats and sell them for quite a good price the same day itself.
How to get started?
Well, as with any other method of making money online, getting started is probably the most challenging part of selling beats as well. However, if you know what you are doing and are really talented at making quality beats, it may still turn out to be fairly easy.
Before we dive into other important steps of the process, we will be going through some of the latest and modern tools you can use to produce great beats very quickly and easily.
How to make beats?
If you are a beat maker, you should already know the answer to this. However, you may still be unaware of quite a few other important things.
Nowadays, you may no longer have to rely on expensive and complicated music instruments to produce quality beats (although you may want to if you already own them and know how to use them effectively).
Using beat making software
Well, there now seem to be quite a few beat making software that help you make quality beats. In fact, if you are good with your basics and get the hang of the software you use, it may not take you long to start making some really great beats using such software that people would want to buy.
However, we would also like to point out that you may have to do quite a bit of research while trying to find the ideal beat making software, primarily because not all are the same. Furthermore, although there seem to be quite a few good beat making software, you may not be comfortable using them all.
Hence, the idea here seems to be to go with something that’s not only good, but also meets your own requirements and preferences.
Finding out if you are making quality beats
You need to ensure that you are ready to sell beats before actually putting your beats online for sale. After all, not all beats will sell, but rather only those having a good market and are actually good enough to attract buyers.
That being said, the below given are some of the best ways to find out whether your beats are ready for selling or not.
- Does the structure of your beats allow it to be used to enhance the quality of songs? Does it have any music made to it by any well-known music artist? If not, what’s the reason?
- Have you tried to get feedback on your beats by someone experienced in the industry? While it may not be possible to do always, if you are starting out, it indeed makes sense to confirm this with someone knowledgeable just to be sure your beats would be fit for selling.
- You also need to make sure your beats are mixed properly, so that they sound great irrespective of the device they are played on, be it a car’s audio system or a smartphone.
Where to sell your beats online?
Not all beat sellers are connected to artists that would always be interested in buying beats from them on a regular basis. In fact, most aren’t.
However, as mentioned above, if your beats are really good, there are quite a few ways of selling it online. Some of the seemingly best ones are being listed below.
- Community beat stores such as SoundClick, Rocbattle, MyFlashStore, PMPWorldwide, and more
- Creating your own website and selling all your beats online using it
There are both advantages and disadvantages associated with both the ways. We will go through them as well.
Pros of using community beat stores:
- Significantly easier to sell your beats online
- Easy to set up stores
- These websites already get quite a lot of targeted traffic that may be interested in buying your beats
- You can connect to different music communities as well
Cons of using community beat stores:
- You are only allowed a one-page website, which doesn’t allow you to make it look very professional
- Your own page may link out to your competitors’ pages
- Very fierce competition from other more reputed sellers
- The fierce competition also leads to surprisingly low prices, so you may have to settle for considerably less than what you expected
- Monthly fees may be high
- You can’t customize it much
Pros of creating your own website for selling your beats:
- You don’t have any disadvantages that you do while using the above mentioned community stores
- You have complete control over everything
- Your website will obviously be only about you and your beats
- You can build a little dedicated fan base, especially by using your business’ social media accounts
- It would look a whole lot more professional, just like a real business does
- You can re-target your past customers
- You can collect the emails of your customers and update them every time you release some new beats
Cons of creating your own website for selling your beats:
- You may have to spend quite a bit of money upfront on the design of your website
- You would obviously also have to build everything from scratch, as you won’t have the targeted traffic as you would while selling on community beat stores
- Managing your own website may turn out to be a bit too time consuming
- You may have to work a lot on getting a considerable amount of targeted traffic
What’s the ideal way to go?
Well, unless you are perfectly comfortable with one of the above two options, you may want to go for both the options! We understand it may be a little challenging to manage both your page on the community stores and your own website, but over the long term, you may reap the benefits of putting in the hard work.
Similarly, you can actually also use such community beat stores to drive traffic to your own website by linking out from your seller pages on the sites. This way, you would be able to get your potential customers away from your competitors, and would still don’t have to worry about getting targeted traffic all on your own.